Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Cheers to 2013

Something remarkable happened in 2012. For the first time since Emma's birth we still had a few dollars left in our flex spending account on New Years Eve! We must've forgotten to pay something... ha! It's a miracle.

Our year has been busy and chaotic, but very blessed.

We are entering 2013 with a relatively healthy, super happy, smart and amazingly hilarious little girl. That is something I do not take for granted. I'm trying to enjoy every blissful moment of this time of stability in her health and swallow the fear that it's only temporary. There's always a chance...

My son has had a wonderful 8th grade year. He has awesome skills on the football field, plays in the region band and has beautiful honor roll grades. He is also the best big brother a girl could have. I cannot look at that boy without smiling and feeling all warm and proud. He is amazing.

This New Year will likely bring many changes to our lives. The healthcare "reform" that so many people want is going to hit our family hard. My husbands company is one of many in the healthcare industry that are already being affected. Layoffs are coming in waves of hundreds of employees at a time. It doesn't look good, and since we live in a small town we will likely be forced to move for a new job. (very sad face)

With the new tax laws we already keep less of our paychecks and our medical expenses will be even higher than before. Medical devices will be heavily taxed and those costs will surely be handed down to us, not to mention FSA benefits have been cut in half. It's pretty mind boggling that reform that is supposed to help the middle class is going to hurt my family in so many ways.

My biggest fear has to do with the quality of my daughter's healthcare in the future. It really scares me to think we may be forced into a government run health system. One day at a VA clinic is enough to see the vast failure of our governments idea of "good enough" care. It truly terrifies me.

All of that aside, I am hopeful that 2013 will bring good things to our family. Last year my resolution was to take better care of myself and to get back in shape. I know, I know.. But I was mostly successful and it was a goal worth striving for. This year I will continue to focus on balancing my sweet little business with my crazy family life and still find some time for me. It's hard for us caregivers to take care of ourselves, but it is so important. I feel better than I have in years and it was definitely worth the effort.

So as we embark on this journey into the new year I wish you all health and happiness, (and beautiful blood sugar and restful nights). I pray that my husband finds a new job easily, that my daughter's health remains stable and that our family will rise to the challenges before us. Here's hoping that 2013 is kind to us all!

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

The reform IS scary, isnt it? We already feel the impact just a few weeks into the year. YIKES!

Best wishes for you all in 2013! I will be sending happy, healthy,peaceful, successful vibes your way each and every day!

Amy said...

It is so scary Kelly! I've yet to see how this is going to help middle class, working (hopefully), tax paying families.

My best to you and your family too! :)